The Rwanda Bar Association provides the following services:
- Providing information to the public
- Handling complains between advocates and the public.
- Providing legal information, advice, orientation, mediation, and legal assistance & representation to indigent and vulnerable people free of charge.
Eligibility criteria for legal assistance/representation in courts to indigent and vulnerable people:
- Certificate of indigence issued by a competent authority.
- Application letter addressed to the Bar’s President
- Court summon indicating clearly the date of court hearing or pre-hearing preparation.
- Courts Submissions.
- Submit the application to the Bar as soon as the applicant obtains the court summon.
- It is recommended that before coming to the Bar Secretariat, applicant should pass through MAJ or any other local legal aid provider to ensure that requirements are fulfilled.
- Appear before the Office of consultation and Defense of the Bar to hear the applicant and process his/her application.
- Application for legal assistance/representation courts are submitted to the Secretariat of the Bar Association each Friday of the week from 08:00am is to 03:00 pm. The same day, applicants appear before the Office of Consultation and defense.
Note: It is important to note that late applications have little chances to timely obtain legal representation. Therefore, it is recommended that application should be submitted at least four weeks before the Court hearing.
The following are the list of Legal aid Counsels:
We are Here