The Standing Disciplinary Committee has to be competent to decide on matters relating to discipline, behavior and compliance with laws and regulations by Advocate. Specifically, it has the functions stipulated in the Law on the establishment, organization and functioning of the Bar Association in Rwanda, namely:
- To consider all claims that are linked with the discipline of Advocates;
- To decide on all issues referred to it;
- To take disciplinary measures provided for by the Law;
- To fight injustice and discrimination;
- To monitor the conduct and the practice of Advocates;
- To ensure compliance with the laws and regulations governing the Advocates’ profession;
- To make an annual follow up as to whether Advocates pay taxes in accordance with the relevant laws.